Home education days
Our home education days are designed for children from 4 to 16 years old who are being home educated. With a different focus on each day, your ticket includes access to our curriculum linked drop in sessions, where our experienced education team will be hosting different activity stations to cater for all age ranges as well as full access to the Zoo for the day.
SOLD OUT - February 26th 2024 - Vets in Action
Children can step into the role of a vet at Whipsnade Zoo during our drop in session celebrating the incredible work of our vets.
Start at the specially created zoo vet centre where junior vets will be prepped with lab coats before helping experts examine, diagnose and carry out treatments on toy animals, experiencing first-hand the huge variety of work carried out by the Zoo’s vets, vet nurses and zookeepers. Younger children (ages 4-7 recommended) can then participate in a red panda health check, while older children (ages 7-11 recommended) will have the opportunity to take on the role of forensic vets, helping to solve wildlife crime.
These drop in activities for young people aged 4 - 11 will commence at 10:15am with a pause for lunch at 12:30pm (last entry at 12:00pm) and recommence at 1:30pm until 3:30pm (last entry at 3:00pm)
At 12:30pm an experienced member of our vet team will give a talk to students aged 12+ about the vital work that their team carries out and provide some images and case studies from our Zoos. There will also be an opportunity for young people to ask questions of our team and find out all about their careers.
To book please follow the link below:
Our Vets in Action Day is now SOLD OUT. We will be running a second home education day on 4th June 2024 with a different theme and activities! More details can be found on this page in April when tickets will be available to book.
- ZSL Members, Patrons and Fellows are entitled to discounted child tickets and can select these via the link above. All members will need to show a valid membership card on the day to be allowed entrance to the Zoo. Anyone who does not hold a valid membership on the day of the event will be required to pay for a full priced admission ticket to be allowed entry to the Zoo.
- To ensure good supervision, one adult is admitted free for every 5 paying children. Any adults above this ratio are required to pay the additional adult price. Essential carers will be admitted free of charge, however the team may ask you to provide reasonable evidence such as PIP or DLA documents.
- The stations in our drop in sessions are divided into age groups to give parents a guide to the level of language and detail we will be covering but if you feel a station in a different age bracket is more appropriate please speak to a member of the team on the day.
- Younger / older siblings are welcome to utilise the stations and must have a ticket, but for the benefit of all participants we request that they do not disrupt the activities, or they may be asked to leave.
- Parents must remain with their children at all times during workshops.
- No food or drink is to be consumed in workshop rooms.
- Booking is required for every home educators day you wish to attend and tickets must be shown to gain entry to the drop in sessions.
- Payment must be made at the time of booking.
- Full terms and conditions here.
- ZSL reserves the right cancel workshops if fewer than 10 people are booked onto a single workshop. ZSL will notify all participants with no less than 3 days’ notice.
Do you wish to visit on a day other than one of our event days?
Members of the home educator community are also welcome to visit the zoo on other term time week days for the same price as our schools groups.
To book your tickets please call our team on 0344 225 1826. They will be able to book you in and take payment over the phone for your tickets. Education Terms and conditions apply for these tickets.