Ticketing and Special Events Terms and Conditions
These are the terms and conditions on which we supply goods, services, tickets, membership, experiences and other products to you.
Please read these terms carefully before you submit your order to us. These terms tell you who we are, how we will provide products to you, how you and we may change or end the contract, what to do if there is a problem and other important information.
Information about us and how to contact us
Who we are
We are the Zoological Society of London, a registered charity in England and Wales and a Royal Charter body. Our charity number is 208728 and our company registration number is RC000749. Our registered address is the Zoological Society of London, Regent’s Park, London, NW1 4RY.
How to contact us
You can contact us by telephoning our Supporter Contact team on 0344 225 1826 or by writing to us at [email protected]
Please note that we currently sell tickets using SEE Tickets. All answers to our most frequently asked questions, including questions about your zoo booking, can be found here:
For London Zoo
For Whipsnade Zoo
In purchasing tickets for entry into London Zoo and or Whipsnade Zoo (each an “Attraction”) you enter into an agreement with the Zoological Society of London, registered charity number 208728 (in this section “ZSL”) on these Terms which incorporate the “Common Terms” on this website applicable to all transactions. Please note that all ticket prices are subject to change without prior notice and can vary by date of visit or through different sales channels (e.g. website and at the gate).
Classes of ticket holder:
- A Child is a person aged from 3 year to 15 years (inclusive). A Disabled Child is a Child with accompanying supporting documents*. Children under the age of 3 may enter free of charge. Children (aged 15 and under) must be accompanied by at least one adult.
- An Adult is a person aged from 16 to 64 years old (inclusive). A Disabled Adult is an Adult with accompanying supporting documents*.
Free entry for one essential carer per disabled visitor. This will be applied at the Gate. If you need more than one carer at the same time and you consider that it would be a reasonable for us to allow more than one carer free entry, please let our Supporter Contact team know so that we can co-ordinate your request. The team may ask you to provide reasonable evidence such as PIP or DLA documents.
- A Senior is a person aged 65 years or more, with accompanying supporting documents*.
- A Student is any Adult holding a valid photographic identity card** showing they are a current student.
* ZSL reserves the right to charge the applicable general admission rate to any person not able to validate their entitlement to Concession rates.
Special ticket types:
- Flexi-ticket or open-ended ticket: Available at additional charge, Flexi tickets are valid for a single visit any day within twelve months from the date of purchase only. Please see ‘Coronavirus changes’ section below for information on redemption of flexi tickets while we operate to covid-19 secure standards.
- Universal Credit tickets. A limited number of reduced price tickets for London and Whipsnade Zoo have been made available online for those currently receiving Universal Credit, Pension Credit, Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance. You will need to bring proof of eligibility with you and show this when you present your ticket(s) to our friendly staff at the admissions gate. This can either be by logging into your Universal Credit portal or by bringing you proof of benefit letter (one proof per household). To be eligible you must have received a Universal Credit payment within the last month and you may also be asked to show photographic ID. These discounted tickets will not be accepted without one of the above documents (per household) as proof of eligibility. Tickets are valid only for the date stated upon them
- Community Access Scheme Tickets are special subsidised tickets available to specified Community Engagement Partners: organisations that work with older people (60+), households on low incomes, and people with additional needs or disabilities. Two types of Community Access Ticket are available:
1) For organisations wishing to distribute tickets to individuals/families (any number) we offer flexible-dated vouchers which the end-user can exchange on our website for a Zoo ticket on a date of their choice. These vouchers are valid for a single visit any day within twelve months from the date of voucher issue.
2) For organisations wishing to come as a group (15+) on a single date we offer fixed-dated Community Access Tickets which can simply be scanned on arrival at the Zoo to gain admission.
- All organisations who have been accepted to purchase tickets through the Community Access Scheme are considered Community Engagement Partners and must ensure the tickets are going to be used by the people they are intended for. You can apply for tickets here - please do check the eligibility before applying.
- Community Engagement partners agree to ensuring that at least 25% of their clients, who visit the zoo, complete a post-visit survey.
- Tickets sold Online (with the exception of Flexi tickets) are valid only for the date stated upon them.
- Tickets do not guarantee car park entry and parking charges (or car entry at Whipsnade) are not included within the price.
- Tickets are non-transferable to other Attractions or persons and may not be resold without the prior written consent of ZSL. If any person attempts to enter an Attraction with a ticket that has been resold without ZSL’s written consent, ZSL may refuse entry and no compensation is payable to that person by ZSL.
Gift Aid on tickets
As part of your ticket, you can add an optional 10% donation which helps us continue our conservation work in the UK & abroad. By agreeing to pay this optional donation, we can claim Gift Aid on the full ticket price if you are a UK tax payer.
Rainy Day Guarantee
The Rainy Day Guarantee applies to original visit dates from 9 August until 30 September 2023. Tickets are only valid for a single return visit to Whipsnade Zoo, for exactly the same tickets purchased originally. For example, one adult and one child. Free return visits will only be accepted upon presentation of the original tickets with a valid photographic ID for the lead booker. Return visits under this guarantee have no cash value and cannot be transferred to somebody else. You cannot re-visit more than once under this guarantee. If it also rains on your return visit, you will not be entitled to another free visit. The date of your original tickets must be an eligible rainy day as determined by Whipsnade Zoo. Eligible dates will be available on this webpage, from the next working day. Free return visit must be redeemed by Friday 20 October 2023. No cash alternative is available, tickets cannot be re-sold or exchanged. The Guarantee only applies to Whipsnade Zoo admission tickets booked in advance through the Whipsnade Zoo website. School visits, Member visits and tickets booked through a third party are excluded from this promotion. The Rainy Day Guarantee does not apply to special events or experiences, including, but not limited to, Meet the Animals, Lookout Lodge and Keeper for a Day. Return visits are subject to availability. Whipsnade Zoo has the right to refuse entry and withdraw the Rainy Day Guarantee offer at any time.
General admission conditions of entry
- Children under 16 will not be admitted without an adult.
- Last entry is one hour prior to the advertised closing time.
- Re-entry is not permitted at London Zoo, however re-entry is permitted at Whipsnade Zoo with a valid stamp from the main gate.
- No dogs are permitted on site at Whipsnade Zoo. This includes assistance dogs due to free-roaming animals in the collection.
- No dogs are permitted on site at London Zoo, with the exception of assistance dogs under specific conditions:
- If your dog is not a registered assistance dog, please call 0344 225 1826 ahead of your visit.
- Assistance dogs are not permitted at our animal demonstrations at ZSL London Zoo or in any of our walkthrough exhibits, this includes Rainforest Life, In with the Lemurs, the Butterfly House, In with the Spiders, Squirrel Monkey walk-through, the Touch Paddock, the Blackburn Pavilion Bird House, African Bird Safari and Gorilla Kingdom Bird Aviary. Additionally, dogs are not permitted in the temple clearing/”360” viewing areas in Land of the Lions.
- Zoo animals and dogs can react to each other, so we ask that if you notice any behaviour changes or interactions, please move on to another exhibit.
- Your dog must remain calm and quiet and at least 2 metres away from any animal enclosure fences and windows.
- We advise that you completely avoid areas where you are in close proximity to fences surrounding our big cats.
- Please ensure your dog is fit and healthy when visiting the Zoo, and has not shown any signs of ill health – including diarrhoea and vomiting – in the last 24 hours. They must have been resident in the UK for the last 6 months and have received all annual vaccinations and anthelmintic treatments.
- Dogs must not be left unattended; at all times they must remain with an adult and on a short lead.
- Please clean up after your dog. Ask at the main gate if you do not have a poop bag.
- Visitors with assistance dogs will be asked to meet with the Animal Duty Manager on arrival for an on-site briefing and confirm acceptance of these and any other conditions required on that day. Your assistance dog may be asked to undergo a brief health check to help protect the health of all animals on site.
- Bicycles, electric scooters and motorbikes are not allowed on Zoo premises.
- Roller skates, rollerblades, skateboards are not allowed on Zoo premises. Children's scooters are permitted as long as they are supervised by an adult.
- Heelys roller shoes must not be used as skates but may be worn as shoes.
- Buggies and pushchairs are left unattended at their owner’s risk and any containers left unattended may be removed for security reasons. ZSL accepts no responsibility for damage to or loss of personal property brought into Attractions.
- BBQs not permitted.
- Permission must be obtained for all filming and photography for commercial purposes.
- ZSL reserves the right to refuse entry into, or remove from the premises, any person. This includes, but is not limited to, a person who:
- Has behaved in a manner which, in the opinion of ZSL, has, or is likely to, adversely affect the animals at the Attraction or the safety or enjoyment of other visitors.
- Has used threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or in any way provokes or behaves in a manner which may provoke a breach of the peace or may disturb animals.
- Is, or appears to be, under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- We do not knowingly allow any person to visit our zoos who: (i) has an unspent criminal conviction; (ii) has an entry on a criminal register (including the sex offenders’ register); (iii) has any record of any order indicating anti-social behaviour, violence, abuse, public disorder or criminal damage or any other form of anti-social behaviour; (iv) is a convicted sex offender, subject to the notification requirements of the Sexual Offences Act 2003; or (v) is subject to a Sexual Harm Prevention Order or Child Abduction Warning Notice. If you do not disclose this information about yourself or any other member of your party, and it later becomes known to us, we reserve the right to cancel your booking and / or require that you, any person in your party falling into one or more of the above categories, and (at our discretion) the other members of your party leave London Zoo or Whipsnade Zoo (as applicable) immediately. Either in the case of enforced cancellation or requiring you to leave our site, we reserve the right to do so without refund.
- It is prohibited to take into an Attraction:
- Any weapons, fireworks, smoke bombs, glass bottles, blades, flammable liquids or other articles that may cause injury.
- Skateboards, rollerblades, roller skates, bikes and other forms of personal transport.
- Balls, frisbees, balloons or any other similar item.
- Pets or animals of any nature
- To prevent offensive weapons or dangerous articles being taken into the Zoo, visitors are admitted subject to a condition that, if requested to do so, they will allow themselves and/or their belongings to be searched by ZSL staff.
- By purchasing a ticket to an Attraction, Visitors agree to:
- Keep their voices and mobile telephone volumes low
- Not attempt to feed the animals or enter animal enclosures
- Not tap on glass or put any body part through railings or fencing
- Not film or take photographs of the Attraction for public broadcast, commercial purpose or student projects unless authorisation has first been obtained from ZSL
- Not throw any article which could cause injury or annoyance to visitors or animals
- Not smoke, except in designated smoking areas
- ZSL reserves the right to amend pricing and opening times entirely at its discretion and without prior notice. Please check our website for opening and closing times. We may close or change some exhibits or areas within the Zoos partly, entirely or at certain times of the year for various reasons including, but not limited to, special events and refurbishment.
Occasionally (for example due to extreme weather conditions) we may need to close one or both of our Zoos altogether. This may mean an adjustment to our opening and closing times or that we are unable to open at all. Anyone who has a ticket, lodge stay, or experience booked for a day when we need to close all day is entitled to transfer their booking to another date to be agreed with us.
Issue of e-tickets
- When your booking has been confirmed your tickets will be dispatched via e-mail to the e-mail address you specified. It is your responsibility to check prior to purchase that the information you have supplied to us in respect of your e-ticket requirements is accurate. We are only responsible for issuing e-tickets in accordance with the information you provide.
- Once purchased, neither the person nor Attraction for which an e-ticket has been purchased may be changed. E-tickets are only valid for the date stated upon them, with the exception of Flexi tickets.
- Payments for e-tickets are non-refundable.
- On arrival at the Attraction, the following will be required in order to validate an e-ticket purchased through this website:
- Appropriate proof of entitlement to any discounted ticket rate claimed (such as NUS card, pension booklet, passport) for each person to be admitted under the ticket
- A legible print-out of your e-ticket to be scanned. Although scanning from a phone screen is usually possible this cannot be guaranteed. Failure to bring a print out with you may delay the admission process. ZSL reserves the right to refuse admission to any person not able to validate their e-ticket in the above manner.
Promotions, offers and third-party ticket sales
- Additional Terms and Conditions may apply to Promotions and Offers bought or arranged through a Third-party. Please read terms and conditions provided by the Promoter or Third-party Supplier before purchasing.
- No promotion may be used in conjunction with any other offer or discount.
- Please check voucher terms and conditions for validity.
- Smartsave discount codes and Tesco Clubcard vouchers are not valid for entry/payment.
- We offer a 50% discount on Zoo admission tickets, if you travel to Whipsnade Zoo by bus or train. The 50% discount tickets cannot be bought in advance. The discount will be applied to the walk-up gate prices at Whipsnade Zoo only. This discount cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or promotion. A valid bus or train ticket, for the visit date, must be presented at the gate, for every ticket purchased using this promotion. Discount is subject to availability and may be withdrawn at any time, without notice.
- A child, aged 5 - 15 years, who produces a valid Blue Peter badge card at the gate will be given free entry when accompanied by a full paying adult. One full paying adult will be required for each qualifying child and the adult ticket must be purchased upon arrival at the Zoo.
- We offer Blue Light Card and Defence Discount Service members a discount on dated Zoo admission tickets. Tickets must be booked online in advance. This discount cannot be redeemed at the gate. The discount code is valid for all tickets in the basket, up to a maximum of 14 tickets. The discount code is only valid for dated Zoo admission tickets and cannot be used for Membership, special events or experiences. The discount cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion. The Blue Light Card member must be one of the visitors. You will be required to show your Blue Light Card or Defence Discount Service at the gate on arrival at the Zoo.
- We may occasionally offer a family ticket as a promotion, either available through zsl.org or a third party seller. Only tickets purchased through zsl.org can be redeemed against a membership upgrade. ZSL general terms and conditions apply to all family tickets regardless of where they are purchased.
- If tickets to London or Whipsnade Zoo have been booked using a ZSL Fellowship half-price ticket benefit or a ZSL Patron complimentary ticket benefit, these must be used by a family member of the respective Fellow or Patron only.
- ZSL reserves the right to decline any promotional voucher.
Animals on show
ZSL cannot guarantee that all animals will be on show at the Zoos throughout the day. For various reasons, including animal welfare, certain animals may be off show to the public without prior notice.
- Tickets will be released in batches for future dates on a rolling basis and are sold on a first-come-first-served basis. If the date you’re looking for isn’t yet available, please check back later.
- All Whipsnade Zoo tickets must be booked online in advance at whipnadezoo.org, on the gate at time of arrival, or via one of our approved third-party ticketing partners.
- Paying visitors will be permitted to enter the zoo any time after the time stated on their ticket, up until the last entry time that day.
- Members, Fellows and Patrons of ZSL currently do not need to pre-book in advance and gain entry by showing their valid membership card on the day of their visit.
- Flexi ticket holders (including bulk ticket holders) must exchange their open-dated voucher for a dated zoo ticket in advance of their visit. Instructions on how to do this have been emailed to all flexi ticket holders at the time of issue.
- Holding a flexi ticket or bulk ticket is no guarantee of ticket availability on any specific date you wish to visit. Tickets from that daily allocation will be sold on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Hullabazoo indoor soft play at Whipsnade Zoo is open. Sessions are free, but must be booked in advance and are subject to availability. Find out more here.
- In making a donation (including those added when purchasing a Membership or e-ticket) through this website you are donating, unless otherwise stated, to the Zoological Society of London (“ZSL”), a registered charity, registered charity number 208728. We will use your donations at our discretion but within our stated charitable objects.
- When making a donation you may elect to have Gift Aid apply to it.
- We can claim up to 25p of every £1 you give us. By choosing to Gift Aid you are confirming you are UK taxpayer and understand that if you pay less Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax than the amount of Gift Aid claimed on all donations in the tax year it is your responsibility to pay any difference. You are also acknowledging that gift aided tickets / membership are for members of your family or yourself.
- ZSL is registered with the Fundraising Regulator and acts at all times in accordance with the code of Fundraising Practice. For further information on the Fundraising Regulator please visit: https://www.fundraisingregulator.org.uk/
Visit our donations page for more information about how you can support ZSL.
Do you have a question about ZSL Membership?
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions.
Membership lasts for 12 months starting on the date of your purchase for a standard membership and on a date specified by you for a gift membership.
If we are unable to accept your order, we will inform you of this and will not charge you for membership. This might be because we have identified an error in the price or description of the product, or due to matters relating to general admission terms and conditions.
All membership packages, other than single child memberships, may be purchased with either Silver or Gold benefits.
Silver members will enjoy free access to London and Whipsnade Zoos and receive regular exclusive email updates about our Zoos, animal news, special offers and events, and updates about ZSL's latest work.
Gold members will enjoy free access to London and Whipsnade Zoos and receive exclusive email updates about our Zoos, animal news, special offers and events, and updates about ZSL's latest work.
Gold members will also receive the following benefits:
- 10% off in ZSL Zoo shops and restaurants
- 10% off in the ZSL online shop
- 10% off our animal experiences
- Priority booking and discounts on selected events
- Exclusive daily Hullabazoo Indoor Play session from 10.00-11.15. Spaces are allocated on a first come first serve basis. Additional terms apply to Hullabazoo sessions.
- 50% off car entry at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
- Discount on the Great Whipsnade Railway at Whipsnade Zoo
- At London Zoo, Gold members get 10% off parking during peak times (weekends, bank holidays and school holidays), and free parking in conjunction with Zoo visits term times from 10AM Monday - Friday. Upcoming peak times:
22 July - 3 September 2023
21 - 29 October 2023
Family and Joint Memberships
When you purchase a family or joint membership all members must be living at the same address. Each member within the group will be issued with their own card which they must bring with them at each visit.
Children must be accompanied by an adult and single child members may benefit from the membership package of the adult accompanying them.
Children under 3 years of age are able to visit the Zoos for free.
Children aged between 3 and 15 years are eligible for a child membership or may be included as a child member under a family membership package.
Adults aged between 16 and 64 are eligible for adult membership either stand alone or as part of a membership package such as joint or family membership.
Adults aged 65 and over are eligible for concessionary membership.
Concessionary membership requirements
Adults aged 65 and over, students in full time education, and people with disabilities are eligible for concessionary membership. You may be required to provide proof of your eligibility before purchase.
Upgrading your tickets
If you choose to purchase membership within 14 days of visiting the Zoo with a valid ticket type we will discount the price of your membership by the price of your ticket, excluding any donations made.
Tickets can only be redeemed against membership within 14 days of your visit.
Prices will only be discounted on a like-for-like basis. For example, you will be able to exchange two adult tickets against a joint Adult membership. Adult admission tickets cannot be used as value against child memberships, or vice versa. You can only deduct one set of tickets against a membership.
If you apply for membership via post please keep your tickets and send them back to us with your completed application.
Only tickets purchased through ZSL (including Flexi tickets), SEE Tickets and National Rail can be redeemed against the price of membership.
Special ticket types (e.g. bulk tickets, experiences, Zoo Nights) are not redeemable against membership packages.
Entry to the Zoos
Entry to Whipsnade Zoo or London Zoo is subject to our general admission conditions of entry.
Please note that, as set out in the general conditions of entry, in exceptional circumstances we may need to change the opening and closing times or even close one or both Zoos altogether. Such changes do not bring with them an automatic right to a refund or extension of membership.
Your Membership Card
You must bring your membership card with you in order to gain entry to the Zoos. You may visit the Zoos during usual opening times.
Entry will only be granted to the named card holder. Your membership benefits are not transferable under any circumstances and misuse of a membership card or your other benefits may result in the card being confiscated and your membership terminated with no right to any refund for the unexpired portion.
Membership cards are not valid after the membership expires and remain the property of ZSL at all times.
You must inform ZSL if you lose your membership card or suspect that it has been stolen. We may charge you a £5 fee to reprint your card.
Events and Special Offers
A membership card may not be valid for entry on certain special events in the zoo calendar (e.g. Zoo Nights) and this will be advertised as such. There will be an additional fee payable for member entry to such events.
All events are subject to availability. Membership does not guarantee availability to ZSL events.
If you purchase additional products from us, or participate in events or other promotions, then additional terms and conditions may apply as well as these ones. Please check the terms and conditions for other events at the time of ticket purchase.
Unless otherwise advised, special offers including joining offers are only available once to each member of ZSL. Each offer may also be subject to additional Terms and Conditions.
Parking at London Zoo
Free car parking at London Zoo for Gold members is available on weekdays after 10am. Availability cannot be guaranteed, and parking will be on a first come, first served basis. Free car parking is not available on weekends, bank holidays and school holidays. Car parking at these times will be charged at the applicable rate. For 2023 these remaining dates are:
11 - 19 February 2023
31 March - 16 April 2023
27 May - 4 June 2023
22 July - 3 September 2023
21 - 29 October 2023
Parking and car entry at Whipsnade Zoo
Parking in the external car park at Whipsnade Zoo is free for all members.
Gold members are entitled to 50% off car entry at Whipsnade Zoo.
If you purchase a Whipsnade Zoo car pass you will be issued with a separate car entry card which you can collect on your next visit. You will need to show this additional card on entry each time you bring your car on future visits.
If you have chosen to pay by Direct Debit we will write you to advising you of when your annual subscription will be debited to your bank account.
If you have chosen to pay by cash, cheque, or credit/debit card we will write to you shortly before the expiry of your membership to invite you to renew.
If you renew your membership with us your membership card will be updated automatically.
Paying by Direct Debit
Direct Debit is a safe, secure and easy way to pay and you are protected by the Direct Debit guarantee.
If you choose to pay by Direct Debit we will take a single annual payment from your account at the start of each membership year.
We will always contact you before we take a Direct Debit payment, to ask whether you wish to renew your Membership and to remind you that your payment is due. If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit, we will notify you 10 working days in advance of your account being debited.
As a thank you for choosing to pay by Direct Debit, we will discount your membership fee by 20%.
Gold members additionally receive two vouchers for half price Zoo tickets per member after renewing their membership to use within the membership year, as a thank you for paying by Direct Debit.
If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by ZSL or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society. If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when ZSL asks you to.
In the event that a Direct Debit payment is rejected by your bank (for reasons other than a cancellation at your or your bank’s request) the membership fee will be resubmitted for collection the next month. This will be confirmed to you in writing. If payment is not successful after this second attempt, ZSL will seek to take an alternative payment and the membership will be suspended during this time.
Your right to cancel your membership
If you tell us that you have changed your mind about membership within 14 days of purchasing it we will cancel your membership and give you a refund. The refund may be subject to deductions if you have used your membership during the 14 days.
If you have used your membership within the 14 day cooling off period but then change your mind and tell us you wish to cancel your membership we will deduct the price of the relevant tickets from your refund.
You are not entitled to a refund if you cancel your membership after the 14 day cooling off period.
If you wish to cancel your membership, please write to us at [email protected] or call us on 0344 225 1826.
If you have chosen to pay by Direct Debit we will write to you to let you know that your membership is about to be renewed. If you do not wish to renew your membership, or if you wish to change or upgrade your membership, you can write to us one month before your renewal date, or as soon as you receive your renewal invitation, at [email protected] or by post at Membership, Zoological Society of London, Outer Circle, Regent’s Park, London, NW1 4RY.
If you did not choose to pay by Direct Debit we will write to you to invite you to renew your membership. If you do not wish to renew your membership at the end of the 12 month your membership will be discontinued automatically.
ZSL’s rights to end your membership early
In most circumstances, we expect that your membership will run its course and will be renewed or ended at your option as set out in these terms and conditions. However, in exceptional circumstances, we reserve the right to terminate your membership early with no right of refund to you for the unexpired portion. If you disagree with any decision by us to terminate your membership in this way then you have the right to take the matter through our complaints process. Examples of such exceptional circumstances include:
- misuse of your membership card or membership benefits (such as by selling, lending, or otherwise transferring your card to someone else to use as if it were their card); and
- engaging in behaviour to any of our members of staff or volunteers which we reasonably consider to be abusive or threatening.
How we will use your personal information
- In purchasing an adoption of an animal (an “Animal Adoption”) at London Zoo and Whipsnade Zoo (each an “Attraction”) you enter into an agreement with the Zoological Society of London, registered charity number 208728 (in this section “ZSL”) on these adoption specific terms that incorporate the “Common Terms” on this website applicable to all transactions.
- Each Animal Adoption includes the benefits as stated on the Animal Adoption web page at the time of making your purchase only. ZSL reserves the right to change these benefits at any time and without prior notice.
- Adoption does not imply ownership nor does it create any liabilities in respect of an animal. Adoptions are not exclusive and other people can also adopt the same named animals which feature in the Adoption scheme.
- In the event of the particular species of the Animal Adoption ceasing to be on display at the Attraction due to death or relocation to another collection, we will endeavour to find an alternative animal which will be offered for the remainder of the Animal Adoption period. If the same species cannot be offered then we will offer an alternative species. Unfortunately ZSL cannot offer a refund in such circumstances. ZSL endeavours to ensure that all animals on the adoption scheme are on-show each day, but due to unforeseen circumstances this is not always possible. ZSL will attempt to notify all adopters via the email updates, and also update their animal's personalised web page with information. Please visit their web page before visiting to check for any updates.
- Entrance to an Attraction to see a species that is the subject of an Animal Adoption does not guarantee that any particular species or animal will be on public display at that time.
- Unless otherwise stated an Animal Adoption runs for a period of 12 months from the date that it was redeemed (not from the date that it was purchased).
- Adoptions are non-refundable, unless due to exceptional circumstances. This is at ZSL’s discretion. ZSL reserves the right to change the price of animal adoptions at any time, and the difference in price will not be refunded.
These terms apply to Keeper for a Day (adult & junior), Behind-the-scenes experiences, Lookout Lodge, Footplate Experiences, Photography workshops, Hullabazoo Private Hire, Nature Night Camping Experiences, and Meet the Animals experiences.
- ZSL reserves the right to alter the experience on any given day due to animal welfare, health issues, staff shortages, bad weather or changes to the zoo’s collections, but will ensure that if this is the case, then the activity will be replaced with another similar task. ZSL endeavours to keep such changes to a minimum. Over the course of time, sometimes activities have to be changed and therefore may be different to what was advertised at the time of purchasing.
- ZSL reserves the right to change or cancel any dates on any of the above experiences for reasons such as the minimum number of participants has not been reached, extreme bad weather, staff shortages, animal welfare issues or force majeure. ZSL will endeavour to notify you as soon as possible. Regrettably, ZSL cannot cover travel, accommodation or any other related costs if it is forced to cancel a date.
- When the duration of the experience is mentioned on our website, marketing material or by a member of our staff this is an approximate guide.
- Unless otherwise stated, vouchers for are valid for one year from date of purchase. It is the participant’s responsibility to ensure a date is booked and completed before expiry. All of our experiences are very popular so we recommend booking a date in advance to avoid disappointment, on some occasions there can be a 4 month wait. ZSL is not responsible for unauthorised use of your voucher.
- The law normally allows you to cancel a contract made online within 14 days of purchase. The exception to this is where you make an express request to us for an experience to be held within that 14 day period. Therefore, if you book an experience for less than 14 days’ time, you acknowledge that you may not be able to receive a full refund if you cancel the experience
- A full refund will be made on open-ended vouchers, providing a date has not been booked and the voucher has more than three months until expiry.
- Once a date has been booked for Keeper for a Day (adult and Junior), Photography workshops and Lookout Lodge, a full refund or date change will be made as long as it is a minimum of 2 months before the date of the experience. Once a date has been booked for Nature Nights camping Experiences, Meet the Animals and Footplate experiences, a full refund or date change will be made as long as it is a minimum of 14 days before the date of the experience. After this time, only exceptional circumstances will be considered for date changes, extensions or refunds. All refunds are made to the card that the experience was purchased with. The participant’s name can be exchanged providing ZSL is given a minimum of seven days’ notice. If the person who arrives does not match our records they will not be allowed admittance onto the experience.
- For a full refund an exceptional circumstance is illness/injury, or bereavement. For changing the date, an exceptional circumstance is the same as above plus jury service, mechanical breakdown and severe travel delays. ZSL will require proof of any exceptional circumstance. Work commitments or holidays/trips away from home are not deemed to be exceptional circumstances. Each application will be considered individually. Once a date has been changed due to exceptional circumstances, we are unable to reschedule it again for any reason.
- If you want to cancel, change the date, or change the name of the person on the experience please let us know by calling our supporter services team on 0344 225 1826 or emailing us at [email protected]. Please provide your name, booking reference, and details of the order.
- ZSL will allocate places on a first come, first served basis. Please do not assume your experience is booked until you have received your booking confirmation email or letter, this is required for admittance on the day. You should not make any travel or accommodation arrangements in connection with the experience or book spectator tickets until you have received your booking confirmation by email or by post.
- Pregnant or nursing mothers are welcome to participate on all of our experiences, apart from any Keeper for a Day experience and all of our Meet the Animals experiences. In this instance only, ZSL will process a full refund (Meet the animal experiences) or extend the voucher (Keeper for a day) at no charge until 6 months after the date of the birth.
- Tickets are for personal use and may not be sold on. Any experiences that are purchased to be used as company benefits or incentives, competition prizes, or any other promotional or public relations activity are subject to an additional surcharge. Please contact [email protected] for further details.
- Standard terms and conditions of entry into the Zoos apply for all participants on our experiences. ZSL reserves the right to ask any participant to leave the site should they behave in an inappropriate or unsafe manner.
- For Meet the Animals experiences, you will also need to have purchased a General Admissions ticket or have a valid membership per person in order to enter the Zoo for your experience. The Meet the Animals experience and vouchers are in addition to your general admission to the Zoo.
- All experiences have a health and safety briefing at the beginning of the session. It is the participant’s responsibility to ensure they arrive on time. It is essential that all participants attend. Please allow plenty of time to travel to the experience, especially if travelling in or near London, so that you do not miss any of this briefing.
- Whilst every effort will be made to accommodate those with a disability or learning difficulty, due to practicality this cannot always be achieved; please contact ZSL on [email protected] for advice before purchasing any of our experiences.
Please see below for additional terms and conditions for each experience.
Keeper for a Day (Adult and Junior)
- Participants must be aged 16 years or over for the adult experience. On the junior experience, participants must be 11-15 years old, plus an accompanying adult over 18 years old who must be present throughout the whole experience. Participants will need a reasonable level of fitness to take part in the activities. Once a date has been booked, the experience is non-refundable if it has to be cancelled due to these restrictions not being met.
- Exceptional circumstances affecting the accompanying adult will not be taken into account for the junior version if discussing refunds or changing the date.
- You must wear closed footwear to take part in this experience.
- Participants must be over 16 years old.
- It is the participant’s responsibility to ensure that they bring their camera and all other necessary equipment with them on the day. There will not be any spare cameras, batteries etc. which we can lend you on the day.
- It is sometimes necessary for us to change the photographer from the one advertised. We aim to replace them with someone with the same experience, and competency to training.
Meet the Animals
- General admission ticket or valid membership per person must be purchased to be allowed entry into the zoo and take part in any of the Meet the Animals experiences.
- Appropriate closed toe footwear must be worn for the experience.
- Pregnant or nursing mothers cannot participate in our Meet the Animals experiences.
Meet the Lions
- Children: must be at least 12 years old and be accompanied by an adult, no more than 2 children per adult.
- Each participant must also have a valid Meet the Lions ticket.
Meet the Tigers
- Children: must be at least 12 years old and be accompanied by an adult, no more than 2 children per adult.
- Each participant must also have a valid Meet the Tigers ticket.
Meet the Elephants
- Children must be at least 8 years of age and be accompanied by an adult, no more than 2 children per adult.
- Each participant must also have a valid Meet the Elephants ticket.
Meet the Giraffes
- Children: must be at least 8 years old and be accompanied by an adult, no more than 2 children per adult.
- Each participant must also have a valid Meet the Giraffes ticket.
Meet the Hippos
- Children: must be at least 12 years old and be accompanied by an adult, no more than 2 children per adult.
- Each participant must also have a valid Meet the Hippos ticket.
Hullabazoo Private Hire
- Once a date has been booked, a full refund or a date change will be made as long as it is a minimum of 1 month before the date of the party.
Lookout Lodge at Whipsnade Zoo
- On an Adult only night each lodge can accommodate a maximum of two guests sharing one lodge (twin beds or a double bed). Young adults over 14 years old are welcome to attend as one of the guests on adult only nights, but must be accompanied by an adult aged 18 years or older.
- Young adults aged 14-17 years can stay in a lodge on their own provided that there is an adult aged 18 years and above attending on the same night.
- On a Family friendly night, children aged 5 – 13 years old are welcome to attend, with an accompanying adult. Each lodge can accommodate a maximum of 2 adults and 2 children, or 1 adult and 3 children. Please note, under 5’s are not permitted on any night.
- Children aged 5-13 years cannot stay in a lodge without an adult aged 18 years and above in the same lodge.
- You can enter ZSL Whipsnade Zoo any time after 10am on the day of arrival but you must be at the Lookout Lodge reception area at 16:30pm to check in. If you are running late on the day of your experience, please call your hosts on 07796 756146. (Please note: Guests are welcome to spend the day of departure at either Whipsnade Zoo or London Zoo).
- You will be sent a guest information pack, which includes further information on your stay including an itinerary, directions, frequently asked questions, and terms and conditions. This can also be viewed on our website.
Nature Night Camping Experiences at Whipsnade Zoo
- Participants are required to provide their own tent.
- All participants must have a valid Nature Nights ticket
- Camper vans and small motor homes can be accommodated but please let us know in advance via email [email protected]
- Children aged 5-13 years old must sleep in the same tent as an adult aged 18 years or older. Children aged 14-17 years old may sleep in their own tent but must be accompanied by an adult aged 18 years or older staying in an adjacent tent.
- All tents will be pitched in a central area of the zoo in close proximity to both male, female and disabled toilets. No showers will be provided.
- All children need to be 5 years or above to take part.
Footplate Experience at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
- Participants must be aged 18 years or older
- Participants must wear closed toed shoes (walking boots or similar), full length trousers and long sleeves to take part in the experience
Online Shop / Retail Returns Policy
We want you to be happy with your purchase. If you're not, just return the product via post or to one of our shops, following the instructions below, and we'll exchange or refund it to the credit or debit card of the person who originally placed and paid for the order.
Under the Consumer Rights Regulations, if you purchase online, by phone or from one of our retail shops, you are entitled to a full refund if you request one in writing within 14 working days of receipt. This includes any delivery charge, but excludes the products listed as exceptions below. If you're unhappy with your purchase, please let us know within 14 days of receipt of the goods, either via email at [email protected], marking your email with ‘Refund Request’ or by calling our customer service team on 0344 225 1826.
The exception to this general rule, is if you specifically require us to perform services within the 14-day period e.g. a Meet The Animals Experience within 14 days of your purchase. In this case, you would not be entitled to any refund where we have fully performed the services.
If you return your item to us and you'd like a refund but don't have your receipt, order confirmation or delivery note, we can offer an exchange to the value of the current selling price. Ordinarily if you have your receipt or delivery note we'll refund the original debit, credit or charge card used to purchase or in the case on purchase made within our zoo shops, we will refund the credit or debit card as supplied on the completed returns form.
It's important that any unwanted item, unless faulty, is returned in a re-saleable condition. We'd expect this to mean that you've kept all original packaging and labels, and that it's undamaged and unused
Products we're unable to cancel, refund or exchange
We can't offer refunds or exchanges, unless faulty or not as described, on the following items:
- products which have been personalised for you, such as stationery or gifts
- made to order products
- all date specific tickets, gifts and experiences
- perishable goods such as sweets and food
- computer software that has been opened or computer software cards that have been redeemed
- audio/video recordings or software that you have unsealed
- Hygiene sensitive products such as earrings and cosmetics
This does not affect your statutory rights. For more information see here
You can make free returns via our zoo shops or by post
Please see below for full details of our returns and refunds policy.
1. Returns via our Zoo shops
Simply take a print-out of your order confirmation or the delivery note if purchased online and the product you wish to return or exchange to one of our Zoo shops. Please make sure you also take in the payment card you originally used to buy the product.
2. Returns via Royal Mail or courier
Address the consignment to the address below and obtain a certificate of postage from the Post Office
Retail Web Shop
East Service Gate
Enclose the delivery note with the product, and package up securely; please use original packaging if possible, but remove original labels.
Please allow 14 days from the collection or posting date for us to credit your account. We will refund the credit or debit card of the person who originally placed and paid for the order or if the goods were purchased from one of our zoo shops, we will refund the credit or debit card details as completed on the returns form.
Refunds on returned items
Please allow 2 weeks from the collection or posting date for us to credit your account. We will refund the credit or debit card of the person who originally placed and paid for the order.
In these terms “ZSL” refers to the organisation or organisations relevant to your transaction as specified in the specific terms relating to each transaction type (the “Specific Terms”). The word “Terms” refers to the Specific Terms together with these Common Terms.
Amendments to the Terms
ZSL reserves the right to make changes to its website, policies, and the Terms at any time. You will be subject to the policies and Terms in force at the time that you use the website and or you enter into any transaction with ZSL, unless any change to those policies or these Terms is required to be made by law or government authority (in which case it will apply to orders previously placed by you). If any of these Terms are deemed invalid, void, or for any reason unenforceable, that term will be deemed severable and will not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining term and the invalid or unenforceable provision will be deemed superseded by a valid, enforceable provision that most closely matches the intent of the original provision and the remainder of the agreement shall continue in effect.
Events beyond ZSL’s reasonable control
ZSL will not be held responsible for any delay or failure to comply with its obligations under these Terms if the delay or failure arises from any cause which is beyond its reasonable control. This term does not affect your statutory rights.
If you breach these Terms and ZSL takes no action, ZSL will still be entitled to use its rights and remedies in any other situation where you breach these Terms.
Warranty as to Age and Residential Status
You warrant that you are at least 18 years of age and possess the legal authority to enter into any transaction through this website (including instructing us to collect any payments from a payment card or billing account) and to use this website in accordance with the Terms. You agree to be financially responsible for all transactions you undertake through your use of this website (as well as for use of your account by others).
Limitation of Liability
Other than liability for death or personal injury resulting from ZSL’s negligence, ZSL, its employees and or agents shall not be liable for any loss or damage, direct or indirect, howsoever arising out of or in connection with ZSL’s relationship with you to the extent permitted by law.
In the event that the above exclusion of liability is not effective, ZSL’s maximum aggregate liability (save in respect of death or personal injury resulting from ZSL’s negligence) shall be the amount paid by the claimant to ZSL in respect of the transaction out of which the claim against ZSL arose.
This agreement constitutes the entire agreement between you and ZSL in respect of the relevant transaction and it supersedes all prior or contemporaneous communications and proposals, whether electronic, oral, or written, between you and ZSL with respect to the transaction. A printed version of the Terms and of any notice given in electronic form shall be admissible in judicial or administrative proceedings based upon or relating to the Terms to the same extent and subject to the same conditions as other business documents and records originally generated and maintained in printed form.
Third Party Rights
None of the Terms shall be enforceable under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 by a party other than you or ZSL.
These Terms are governed by and shall be construed in accordance with English Law, and any claim brought under the Terms shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts. This website is directed to the United Kingdom and therefore certain terms and conditions may not be applicable to non United Kingdom nationals who access this website.
We use ‘cookies’ to enhance your experience on our website. Cookies mean that the ZSL website will remember you for a particular purpose and for a particular length of time. To see our cookies policy, please click here.
ZSL is committed to providing a high quality service to our visitors, supporters, members and customers. We invite feedback because it enables us to ensure the continuous improvement of the services and facilities we provide. Read our full complaint policy here: ZSL Complaints Policy
ZSL is committed to protecting your privacy in accordance with their obligations under data protection legislation. The current data protection law is found in the General Data Protection Regulation as supplemented by the Data Protection Act 2018 and related laws.
Standard Terms And Conditions For Goods And Services purchased by ZSL
These Terms and Conditions ("Ts&Cs") shall govern the purchase of Goods and/or Services by ZSL and may only be varied with the written agreement of ZSL. ZSL reserves the right to amend, edit, modify, alter, change and update the T&Cs from time to time. It is the Supplier’s sole responsibility to ensure that it has read and understood the T&Cs, as may be amended from time to time. Read our full terms and conditions for good and services here.