This event is fully accessible.
Sorry! Our 2022 Sense-sational Festival at Whipsnade Zoo has now ended.
Find out about the previous event below and bookmark this page for updates in 2023.
In the meantime
After consultation with the Special Children’s Day community, we renamed our celebratory weekend to Sense-sational Festival!
Sense-sational Festival is a unique celebration event at Whipsnade Zoo welcoming children with learning difficulties and their families.
With increased specialist facilities and number of staff, as well as sensory interactive events and discounted entry, Sense-sational Festival is an exciting and exceptional event not to be missed.
Activities, events & facilities included:
- Early entry into the Zoo (from 9am) – Sense-sational festival ticket holders only
- Zoo mascots welcoming you into the Zoo
- Chill out Zone with crafts and sensory storytelling in our hub area – next to the Butterfly House
- A High Dependency Unit – located at the car park side of the Butterfly House
- Makaton signing and singing with ‘Singing Hands’ at 10.30am, 12.30pm and 4.00pm – performance outside in our Elephant amphi-theatre so please dress appropriately.
- Relaxed Hullabazoo indoor play sessions at 11.30am, 1.30pm and 3.30pm - bookable at Hullabazoo indoor play reception.
- Additional staff and volunteers on site to support visitors to enjoy their day.
Sense-sational festival tickets include zoo entrance.
Non-ticket holders and members are very welcome to take part in our activities that will be running throughout the day.
At ZSL our goal is to create an experience that is accessible for people of all needs and abilities. For details of how we can support you to make the most of your day head to our accessibility and inclusivity page.