Every year we weigh and measure our animals at Whipsnade Zoo - 'weigh in' on the fun and enter our competition.
Can you guess the collective weight of our bears?
We have four European brown bears at Whipsnade Zoo - Cinderella (seven years old), Naya (two years old), Mana (three years old) and Minnie (three years old). We know you've loved seeing them splashing in their pool or galloping around their paddock this summer. But how much do you think they weigh?
This competition has now closed and the weight is over…
Thank you to everyone who entered - the correct answer is 618.5kg. Congratulations to our winner, Sophie!
Thousands of you took part, and we're sorry that there could only be one winner. But we hope you'll be able to visit our bears very soon - and if you'd like to sleep over at the Zoo in one of our cosy lodges, book your stay.
Guess the weight of the bears competition terms and conditions
About the competition
- The ‘Guess the weight of the bears’ competition is owned by the Zoological Society of London (ZSL).
- To enter the competition, entrants must complete the online form below with their personal details and their guess for the collective weight of Whipsnade Zoo's four European brown bears, written in kg, as of Thursday 10 August when the bears were last weighed. Other units of measurement will not be accepted.
- Only guesses submitted via the online form will be counted - any other guesses emailed in or submitted via social media channels will not be counted.
- The competition is open to UK residents aged 18 or over who submit the form between 9am on Monday 14 August and 9am on Monday 21 August.
- Employees or volunteers of ZSL, their families, agents and anyone else connected with this competition are not eligible to enter.
- ZSL accepts no responsibility for any entries that are incomplete or illegible for any reason. If an email address is incomplete or incorrect, the entry will not be counted as we will not be able to contact you.
- Only one entry will be accepted per person. If you enter multiple times, ZSL will use the first entry only.
- No attempts can be made to obtain the information from zookeepers or any other staff or volunteers.
- It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure they have read and obeyed the competition rules set out in these terms and conditions.
- By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees to the competition rules and digital guidelines, and that that their entry complies with ZSL’s requirements.
- Any entry found not to comply with these terms and conditions will be disqualified.
- The decision of ZSL on all matters relating to the competition is final and binding. No negotiation will be considered and prizes are non-transferrable.
Judging the competition
- The entrant who guesses the closest collective weight of all four bears (as of Thursday 10 August when they were last weighed) will be the winner of the competition and will be contacted via email by Wednesday 23 August with information on how to claim the prize. We will attempt to contact the winner a total of two times over a period of two weeks but if, after two attempts we still haven’t had a response from a winner, a new winner will be picked. The new winner will be the entrant who guessed the next closest weight.
- The correct weight will be announced on social media channels and in emails, and the first name of the winner may be used. By entering the competition the entrants agree to have their name announced on social media channels and in emails at ZSL’s discretion.
- If more than one person guesses the correct weight, the winner will be chosen at random from the correct entries. There will only be one winner. No other prizes will be awarded.
Prizes and benefits
- The winner is entitled to a one-night stay at Lookout Lodge at Whipsnade Zoo for a maximum of 2 adults and 2 children (aged 5-13 years). Find commonly asked questions about our lodges here.
- The stay must be taken before 30 April 2024.
- By entering the competition each entrant agrees to be bound by the Lookout Lodge terms and conditions as well as Whipsnade Zoo’s General Admission and Experiences Terms, which can be found here.
- The winner must contact [email protected] to claim their prize – full instructions of how to claim will be provided.
- Prizes are non-transferable and a cash alternative is not available. ZSL reserves the right to terminate, amend or extend this competition without incurring liability, in the event that circumstances affect its ability to operate the competition. ZSL will not be responsible unless required by law, for any loss, changes, costs or expenses, which may arise in connection with this competition and we can cancel or alter the competition at any stage.
By entering the competition each entrant agrees that any personal information provided by you with your competition entry may be held and used by ZSL only for the purpose of administering the competition and for the duration of the competition until a winner is successfully selected, unless you have otherwise opted in to receive further communications.
These terms and conditions shall be governed by English law, and the parties submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
What prize could I win?
Enter our competition and you could be in with the chance of winning a bear-illiant stay in our Lookout Lodges! This is your chance to sleep over at the Zoo with exclusive tours, a stay in a cosy lodge plus two full days access to the Zoo, with the option to explore London Zoo on your second day.
Stay over at Whipsnade Zoo
Sleepover at the Zoo
Lookout Lodge - Sleepover at the Zoo
Experience the Zoo after-dark at our cosy Lookout Lodges. We provide three entertaining and educational tours around the Zoo including a sunset tour, torch-lit night tour and a morning tour.